By Joel Silva / BusinessiPhoneMobilePhone repair / 0 Comments

Reports of delays to Apple’s upcoming iPhone line-up continued this week, with the Chinese-language Economic Daily News claiming on Monday that production of the so-called “iPhone 8” will not start until between November and December, with production of the more typical “S” cycle upgrades to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus also potentially facing delays.

According to the report, the flagship redesigned OLED iPhone will ship only in small volumes this year, because yield rates at the main manufacturing plants have still not reached the mass production stage.

Reports of iPhone delays typically happen every year and don’t tend to pan out, but on balance we seem to be seeing more than usual this time around, apparently spurred by claims that Apple has found its redesigned handset particularly challenging to finalize, whether that’s because of the intricacies of the customized OLED panel and other key components leading to low or staggered supplies, or problems integrating the Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently published a report supporting claims that Apple will debut the OLED iPhone in September, but the device will face “severe supply shortages” for some time. Kuo believes that production ramp-up on the OLED iPhone model won’t begin until as late as October-November, two months later than previous ramp-ups in August-September. Similar rumors have been circulated by Bloomberg, analysts from Barclays, and Brian White. Today’s report is the most delayed 2017 timeframe for “iPhone 8” production we’ve seen so far.

Last week claims were also made that the software-side of things isn’t going well for Apple either, with rumors that problems with the front-facing camera’s 3D sensor could see the feature temporarily unavailable at launch. A purported wireless charging accessory for the iPhone is also thought to be coming later than originally planned.

As for the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch LCD iPhones that Apple is said to be launching alongside the OLED iPhone, volume production is now said to be entering “full swing” in August, which is one to two months later than the normal mass production schedule for Apple’s iPhones.

Source: MacRumors

By Joel Silva / BusinessMobileTablet & iPad repair / 0 Comments

Earlier this week, a well-known research firm that requested confidentiality told us that, based on their own sources, it expects Apple to announce new products later this month, most likely during the week of March 20. The research firm did not say which products it expects, or the manner in which they will be announced.

Following our report, some Japanese analysts have predicted that a second-generation 9.7-inch iPad Pro will be announced next week, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara. The analysts are reportedly basing this prediction on supply chain information and the lack of a scheduled Apple event next week.

Given that Apple usually invites the media to a launch event at least 10 days beforehand, and if the information we were provided about Apple announcing new products as early as next week is accurate, it is possible the so-called “iPad Pro 2” could be announced via press release rather than at a launch event.

A press release could be an appropriate manner for Apple to announce a new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, given that rumors suggest it will be an iterative upgrade. One of the only rumored additions to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is quad microphones, while Mac Otakara suggests it could have a faster Apple A10X chip.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects Apple to launch a low-cost 9.7-inch iPad Pro this year, likely with its current Apple A9X chip. He did not mention an entirely new 9.7-inch model. If the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is essentially only getting a price cut, then a press release as early as next week would be fitting.

Apple similarly issued a press release when it dropped the price of the fourth-generation iPad to $399 in March 2014. Apple’s current low-cost 9.7-inch model, the iPad Air 2, starts at $399, while the 9.7-inch iPad Pro starts at $599.

Beyond the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, Apple is rumored to launch an all-new 10.5-inch iPad Pro with slimmer bezels and an updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the near future. A few reports claim a new 7.9-inch iPad Pro could also be released, but some analysts disagree and do not expect the iPad mini 4 to be updated.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is expected to have slimmer bezels, and there is a slim chance it will have no Home button, allowing it to have the same overall footprint as the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. This design could foreshadow the rumored 5.8-inch iPhone. The tablet is also rumored to have a higher-resolution display and quad microphones.

The updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro is said to feature a 12-megapixel rear camera and True Tone display like the current 9.7-inch model, using advanced four-channel ambient light sensors to automatically adapt the color and intensity of the display to match the light in the surrounding environment.

While it is becoming clear that new iPads are on the horizon, Apple’s exact launch plans remain convoluted.

If Apple still plans to host an event later this month as one increasingly unlikely rumor said, it would most likely fall between Monday, March 27 and Friday, March 31, given the 10-plus-day buffer for inviting the media.

At this event, the rumor said Apple will unveil its new iPad Pro lineup, a larger iPhone SE model with 128GB storage, and new Apple Watch bands. The report also claimed Apple will add a red color option for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, which could be part of its charitable (PRODUCT)RED campaign.

Of course, the event could be later. Taiwanese website DigiTimes claims Apple is planning to unveil the 10.5-inch iPad Pro at an early April event to “mark the inauguration of Apple’s new headquarters in California,” but it is unlikely that the supply chain sources cited would know this specific information.

It is also unclear if Steve Jobs Theater would be ready for an April event, as Apple indicated it opens “later this year” while employees start moving to the new campus next month. The latest drone footage by Duncan Sinfield shows that the theater is still under construction and surrounded by mounds of dirt.

Source:MacRumors

By mario / BusinessMobile / 0 Comments

AT&T may soon stop selling the Galaxy Note 7 entirely, according to Bloomberg. The news follows an incident on a Southwest Airlines flight earlier this week, in which an owner of a replacement Galaxy Note 7 — one that wasn’t supposed to be prone to catching fire — caught fire while the plane was still on the ground. The Verge confirmed the particular Galaxy Note 7 unit in question was from the new batch of phones Samsung began selling after the initial recall.

Bloomberg said AT&T is “considering stopping all sales” of the device, but it doesn’t appear a decision has been made final yet. Samsung and the U.S. CPSC are still investigating the Southwest Airlines incident, and Samsung still hasn’t gone on the record confirming that it was indeed a replacement device. It’s possible the Galaxy Note 7 still faces a second recall if Samsung and the CPSC believe the device could still put consumers at risk.

If AT&T stops selling the Galaxy Note 7, it’s possible other carriers might follow suit. That would essentially give carriers the power of taking Samsung’s flagship smartphone off of the market before Samsung even makes a decision. It would be an unprecedented move.

Bloomberg said AT&T may decide as soon as tonight (Friday) on whether or not to stop selling the Galaxy Note 7.

An AT&T representative was not immediately available for comment. Samsung was also not immediately available for comment.

SOURCE BLOOMBERG

By mario / BusinessMobile / 0 Comments

Despite Samsung’s attempt to appeal, a court recently said that the company does indeed need to pay Apple $120 million in damages. That’s the fine levied against the Galaxy-maker by a jury in the spring of 2014, when Samsung was found guilty of infringing on an Apple patent.

The patent involved slide-to-unlock technology. Funny enough, Apple doesn’t even employ that, now simply requiring users to press the home button to unlock their smartphone. Another fine is included in the total $119.6 million owed by Samsung, though the other is minimal at $158,400 and relates to camera technology, Reuters said.

Keep in mind this is also separate from a different ruling in which Samsung already forked over $548.2 million for infringing on Apple’s design patents.

SOURCE REUTERS