By mario / Mac / 0 Comments

For a lot of people, today has been a long time coming: Apple announced completely redesigned MacBook Pros. The new models are thinner and lighter, but also come with a Force Touch trackpad a brand new shortcut interface called the Touch Bar. There’s even a fingerprint sensor for using Touch ID.

If you’re considering a new Mac, you have a lot of options in regard to price and specs.

Price

On paper, you are going to need at least $1,299 to get into a new Mac. The 12-inch MacBook and last year’s 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina screen can both be had for that price. But the newer Macs announced today start at $1,499. If you want that nifty Touch Bar (which you do) then, the price steps up to $1,799. And if you want a bigger screen, a 15-incher will run you at least $2,399.

Screen

Really there’s three choices, and all have a Retina display. There’s the super svelte 12-inch MacBook, the new 13.3-inch MacBook Pro and for those who love big screens (or who have older eyes) there’s the 15-inch MacBook Pro. It should be noted that all these Macs are simple to connect to a monitor or television (though you will most likely need an adapter of some kind).

Haswell vs Skylake processors

One of the biggest updates are the processors. Apple jumped from using Intel Haswell processors to Skylake. The benefits are more efficient power management and even faster performance — which is great for multitaskers, video gamers and creative professionals. Of course, until we get our hands on the new Macs we won’t know for sure just how much faster they are.

Chassis

You can now get a pro laptop from Apple that’s not just Silver — there’s also Space Gray. Apple also made the MacBook Pros even thinner and lighter. The 15-inch model has 20 percent less volume. This is great news for mobile professionals. It’ll make travel even easier. The new 13-inch MacBook Pro comes in two body options: one with the Touch Bar and one without.

Touch Bar

There were a lot of rumors that Apple would remove the function keys and replace it with a touch strip. Well, they did. The Touch Bar is a thin Retina display that is multitouch friendly. Depending on the app you’re using, different buttons and controls appear on the Touch Bar. One of the cooler uses Apple demoed was using the Touch Bar to edit an image in Photoshop.

As exciting as the Touch Bar is, it only comes on the 15-inch MacBook Pro and the higher end 13-inch MacBook Pro. The 12-inch MacBook doesn’t have one. But if you want that new body design without the Touch Bar, there is a lower end 13-inch option.

Goodbye MacBook Air – well, kind of

During the Apple announcement, Phil Schiller made a point of showing how the new MacBook Pros compared size-wise against the much beloved MacBook Air. Let’s just say, the MacBook Air looked a bit chunky next to the new models. But Apple has decided to keep the MacBook Air around — well, just the 13-inch model. The price is now $999.

Source: CNET

By mario / Uncategorized / 0 Comments

AT&T is in “advanced talks” to acquire media company Time Warner, and a deal could be finalized as early as this weekend, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Bloomberg on Thursday said senior executives at AT&T and Time Warner met in recent weeks to discuss a possible merger, but it said the talks were informal at that stage.
The talks toward what likely would be a cash-and-stock deal have come together quickly, are fluid, and still could fall through, according the people familiar with the matter. An agreement also could be delayed, they said.
Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes has previously told investors he would entertain a sale of the media company, but only if it feels the price is right. In 2014, Bewkes and his board reportedly turned down an $85-a-share offer from 21st Century Fox, which valued Time Warner at more than $75 billion.

AT&T, looking to add more content and original programming, would gain a number of valuable assets from Time Warner, including CNN, HBO, TBS, TNT, NBA basketball, Cartoon Network and the Warner Bros. film and TV studio. Popular series airing on those networks include, among others, Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley.

New York Post sources said Apple was a possible suitor to purchase Time Warner earlier this year, which Financial Times later said was an idea proposed by Apple’s services chief Eddy Cue. The discussions reportedly never progressed beyond the preliminary stage, however, and did not involve Apple CEO Tim Cook or Bewkes.

An acquisition would have provided Apple with content for its much-rumored streaming TV service, which it has reportedly placed on hold due to difficulties in negotiating deals. It was reported the Netflix-like service would have offered a skinny bundle of channels, including ABC, CBS, and FOX, as part of a monthly subscription.

An AT&T-Time Warner acquisition would likely be closely examined by federal regulators.

Source: MacRumors.com

By mario / GamingMobile / 0 Comments

A modder turned the Galaxy Note 7 into a grenade and put the video on YouTube — but Samsung didn’t find it funny.

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 has been the butt of its fair share of internet jokes since it started exploding in September, but it’s hard to surpass what one Grand Theft Auto V modder did when he turned the phone into an in-game grenade. Apparently, Samsung doesn’t think it’s very funny, though — the company appears to have filed a totally bogus copyright infringement claim on the YouTube video showing this mod.

If you try to watch the video now, you’ll see that Samsung has blocked it by using YouTube’s tools for reporting infringing material. Of course, this isn’t how those tools were meant to be used — they’re for reporting instances in which video or audio is posted in violation of copyright. Using the Note 7’s likeness in a video made from a video game mod doesn’t really seem like what YouTube’s tools are meant to be used for.

Fortunately, that was far from the only YouTube video that shows off the Galaxy Note 7 being used as an incendiary device. Now that the cat’s out of the bag, it’s probably not worth the effort for Samsung to chase down these videos — the company has a lot more serious things to be worrying about right now.

 

Source: Engadget

By mario / Mac / 0 Comments

Apple still plans to announce its new MacBook Pro “in the month” with shipments to begin at the end of October, according to new information shared by Japanese site Mac Otakara.

Citing a “reliable Chinese supplier,” the site says that Apple will launch both 13 and 15-inch models, continuing to offer the machine in the same sizes available today. Apple is also expected to launch a new 13-inch MacBook Air, but will not debut a new 11-inch MacBook Air machine.

Both the new MacBook Pro models, which will replace existing models, and the new 13-inch MacBook Air are said to include USB-C ports and Thunderbolt 3 support.

Previous rumors and part leaks have suggested the upcoming MacBook Pro will include four USB-C ports, doing away with an SD card slot, an HDMI port, USB-A ports, and a MagSafe connection.

It is also expected to feature a redesigned, thinner body with a flatter keyboard, an OLED display touch panel that replaces the physical function keys at the top of the keyboard, and Touch ID support.

Mac Otakara often shares accurate information sourced from the Asian supply chain, but the site does not have a flawless track record and has gotten some details wrong in the past. Other more reliable rumors have also pointed towards an October launch date, however.

With the month coming to an end in just two weeks, it is unclear if there will be an event to announce the new machines. There have been no hints of an event and no invites have been sent out, so it’s possible Apple will debut the machines more quietly, with just a press release.

Source: MacRumors.com

By mario / Uncategorized / 0 Comments

Google is reportedly working on two new Android Wear 2.0 smartwatches. That’s a rumor that has been floating around since a report from Android Police was published this summer. Now, Evan Blass aka @evleaks has a time frame.

Blass said this week that Google’s new smartwatches will launch in the first quarter of next year. That means we can expect them sometime between January and March. The devices will reportedly run Android Wear 2.0, which still hasn’t left beta.

Why this matters:

Save for ASUS, most manufacturers have gone cold on Android Wear. LG, Motorola and Huawei, who were bullish on the platform earlier, still haven’t released new models. Google may help reignite the Android Wear market with its own devices, but they’ll need to stand out. We presume these will be “Made by Google” products that will exist along its Pixel smartphones. We’ll know more come next year.

 

Source: TechnoBuffalo

By mario / Mobile / 0 Comments

Apple is now selling the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus SIM-free in the United States. The move allows fans who already have an existing contract to pick up the Cupertino company’s newest handsets without committing to a new plan.

Some customers in other countries have been able to purchase the iPhone 7 series SIM-free since day one, but in the U.S., Apple makes us wait a little longer for unlocked models. Fortunately, the wait is now over… kind of.

SIM-free versions of both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in all colors and storage capacities can now be ordered from the Apple Online Store. Prices start at $649 for a 32GB iPhone 7, and $769 for a 32GB iPhone 7 Plus.

Don’t assume this means Apple has caught up with iPhone 7 demand, though. There’s still a lengthy wait for most models in all colors; those hoping to get a jet black iPhone 7 Plus — one of the most popular options this year — won’t see it ship for up to 8 weeks.

When you buy the iPhone SIM-free, you have the option to use it with almost any carrier — not only in the U.S., but in other countries, too. Simply pop in your existing nano SIM when it arrives and you’re good to go.

Source: Apple

By mario / Mobile / 0 Comments

A second recall would be an unusual move but could happen if this week’s incident aboard a Southwest Airlines flight involved a “safe” Galaxy Note 7.
The Galaxy Note 7 keeps turning up the heat on Samsung.

The Korean electronics titan could face an unusual second recall of its Galaxy Note 7, according to Bloomberg, citing two former US safety officials. The Federal Aviation Administration and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) are investigating whether a replacement Galaxy Note 7 was the smoking phone that led to the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines flight Wednesday.

A second recall could potentially put a nail in the coffin of the Note 7’s prospects and throw Samsung’s credibility into question. The incident is already a black eye for Samsung at a time when Apple has just launched its iPhone 7.

The CPSC is “moving expeditiously to investigate this incident,” Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a statement regarding the Southwest flight. He continued to recommend that Note 7 owners turn off their phones and stressed that a refund is one possibility.
A commission representative wasn’t available to comment Friday.

Samsung said it’s looking into the Southwest incident and is in close contact with the CPSC.

“Samsung understands the concern our carriers and consumers must be feeling after recent reports have raised questions about our newly released replacement Note 7 devices,” the company said in a statement.

“We continue to move quickly to investigate the reported case to determine the cause and will share findings as soon as possible…If we conclude a safety issue exists, we will work with the CPSC to take immediate steps to address the situation.”

All the major US carriers say customers can exchange a replacement Note 7 for a different phone.

Source: CNET

By mario / BusinessMobile / 0 Comments

AT&T may soon stop selling the Galaxy Note 7 entirely, according to Bloomberg. The news follows an incident on a Southwest Airlines flight earlier this week, in which an owner of a replacement Galaxy Note 7 — one that wasn’t supposed to be prone to catching fire — caught fire while the plane was still on the ground. The Verge confirmed the particular Galaxy Note 7 unit in question was from the new batch of phones Samsung began selling after the initial recall.

Bloomberg said AT&T is “considering stopping all sales” of the device, but it doesn’t appear a decision has been made final yet. Samsung and the U.S. CPSC are still investigating the Southwest Airlines incident, and Samsung still hasn’t gone on the record confirming that it was indeed a replacement device. It’s possible the Galaxy Note 7 still faces a second recall if Samsung and the CPSC believe the device could still put consumers at risk.

If AT&T stops selling the Galaxy Note 7, it’s possible other carriers might follow suit. That would essentially give carriers the power of taking Samsung’s flagship smartphone off of the market before Samsung even makes a decision. It would be an unprecedented move.

Bloomberg said AT&T may decide as soon as tonight (Friday) on whether or not to stop selling the Galaxy Note 7.

An AT&T representative was not immediately available for comment. Samsung was also not immediately available for comment.

SOURCE BLOOMBERG

By mario / BusinessMobile / 0 Comments

Despite Samsung’s attempt to appeal, a court recently said that the company does indeed need to pay Apple $120 million in damages. That’s the fine levied against the Galaxy-maker by a jury in the spring of 2014, when Samsung was found guilty of infringing on an Apple patent.

The patent involved slide-to-unlock technology. Funny enough, Apple doesn’t even employ that, now simply requiring users to press the home button to unlock their smartphone. Another fine is included in the total $119.6 million owed by Samsung, though the other is minimal at $158,400 and relates to camera technology, Reuters said.

Keep in mind this is also separate from a different ruling in which Samsung already forked over $548.2 million for infringing on Apple’s design patents.

SOURCE REUTERS

A new case might lead the FBI and Apple into another fight over security and privacy on smartphones, following a confirmation yesterday by FBI special agent Rich Thorton that the FBI has the iPhone of Dahir Adan in its possession (via Wired).

Adan was the culprit behind the stabbing of 10 people in a Minnesota mall in mid-September, and was eventually shot and killed by police. After the event, terrorist organization ISIS claimed credit for the attack on social media, but “no evidence has emerged to suggest ISIS had a hand in planning or executing the attack.”

During a press conference in St. Cloud, Minnesota yesterday, Thorton confirmed that the FBI has Adan’s iPhone and that it is locked with a passcode. According to the special agent, the organization is “still trying to figure out how to gain access to the phone’s contents.” The issue currently is that the model and version of iOS running on the iPhone is known only to the FBI. Following the launch of iOS 8 in 2014, any iOS device running the software is encrypted to an extent that no malicious outsider — or even Apple itself — can get into the iPhone or iPad.

“Dahir Adan’s iPhone is locked,” Thornton told reporters, “We are in the process of assessing our legal and technical options to gain access to this device and the data it may contain.”

Because of this, the deciding factor on whether or not the new issue could lead to another San Bernardino-related debate between Apple and the FBI hinges on the software and model of his iPhone (iOS 8 can run on iPhone 4s and newer devices). For now, Thorton said that the FBI is simply “assessing” its “legal and technical options” for ways to enter the iPhone and extract any potentially helpful data it might contain.

The San Bernardino case began much the same way, with the FBI ordering Apple to provide assistance in opening up Syed Farook’s iPhone 5c because the company had the “technical means” to do so. A long battle between the two organizations eventually led to the Justice Department dropping the case against Apple, reportedly due to an anonymous source providing the iPhone’s password to authorities.

During the controversy, everyone from former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates to President Obamachimed in on the issue. Throughout multiple interviews and quotes, Apple CEO Tim Cookremained adamant on the company’s continuing stance for user privacy, calling the FBI’s request for entering an iPhone “the software equivalent of cancer.” Its implementation could lead to a slippery slope in terms of invasive technology in everyday smartphones, as pointed out by Apple executive Eddy Cue, and even a potential surveillance state.

Source: MacRumors